Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Seed of an Idea

I'm updating this blog to prep for a potential State Park big year effort in MN, with the focus being on seeing all the parks while birding. Not necessarily on seeing every species possible in the State Parks. The effort will be focused on hiking and adventure, not chasing birds. The core bird list will be personally found examples as opposed to running after someone else's finds though I'll be doing plenty of research and timing of visits to maximize my results.


Spotted Sandpiper found on the beach area of Big Marine Park in Northern Washington County
 

The seed or genesis of this idea was reading Bob Janssen's book on birding in the Minnesota State Parks. I found the idea of the adventure, alluring, but quickly found reasons not to do so. I spent most of 2017 thinking about this grand adventure and wanting to do it next level. It simply wouldn't leave my mind to figure out a way to fit in a full time job, being married, and owning a home with visiting all 75 state parks in a single year.

I've done the math several times and it will be a lot of driving and demand much of me as I would desire to set some standards like minimum amount of time spent in each park and/or minimum amount of trail hiked.

After talking with my wife about the nature of my inner desires, she supports me doing this. I feel the call of the wild deep within me. Perhaps it is being cooped up in a cubicle all day that drives this desire to break free and explore.

For now planning continues as I have a spreadsheet with all the parks listed, distances from home, and groupings for those that are so distance that they may demand a more focused multi-day trip in order to visit several in one loop or circuit. More to come as I plan this grand adventure and attempt to bring 2017 to a close in my on going Big Year in Washington County. (Currently sitting at 231 species, the second highest total I'm aware of every occurring in the county.)

No comments:

Post a Comment