Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Friday, May 4, 2018

William "OMG" Brien - Night Moves

So my plan was to skip dinner, or at least have a snack while birding so I could go from roughly 3:45PM to about 9:00PM at William O'Brien State Park and pull in some expected early evening bird song that I miss by birding so regularly at Afton State Park.

As I arrived my plan was to start with the river trail loop in the lower portion of the park. I immediately found some excellent sparrow action in the mowed portions of open space near the parking areas. (White-throated, Song, Swamp, Lincoln's, Chipping)

A Lincoln's Sparrow found in the mowed open spaces off the parking lot and near the currently flooded boat launch parking. This migrant sparrow can be found in many habitat locations with a thicket of cover always being nearby.

With the boat launch area flooded out I quickly moved on towards the main loop trail and found it much quieter than I thought it would be at this point. I had a few warblers moving about (Yellow-rumped, Palm), but nothing further for a long stretch of trail. Over the river with the banks just barely holding the river back I could hear and see a pair of Northern Rough-winged Swallows moving about quickly feeding and watched them as they soon flew into a prospective nest cavity in the river bank. I would imagine this potential nest sight only remaining viable if the river rises no further than a few inches.

I picked up the sounds of the expected area woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied, Pileated) eventually coming to a turn that would put me off the river for a while. At the turn is a small marshy area off the river where a stream dumps into the St. Croix river. I stopped for a bit and I picked up sight of a Common Yellowthroat and then a Northern Waterthrush bobbing about in the brushy tangle.

The small stream moving along this segment showed a nice collection of Marsh Marigold that seem to thrive on eternally moist areas like.

Marsh Marigold blooming along the bubbling brook on the river trail.

I always hope for a Louisiana Waterthrush to setup shop in this stream corridor, but wonder if it is just a bit narrow and small for their liking? I continued on picking up a couple more pictures of wildflowers believing I was seeing 2 varieties of Hepatica (Round-lobed and Sharp-lobed) while then also finding Skunk Cabbage in bloom near the head waters of the stream as it comes off of Lake Louise. These were my first good looks of the cool looking flower horns they produce, though I wasn't in position to get close enough to find out if they indeed smell skunky.

Skunk Cabbage is pretty cool in bloom. This muddy forest location drains off the lake and is the start of a spring feed as well I think for the small brook that runs to the river.

Round-lobed Hepatica and Sharp-lobed Hepatica found in the woodlands while hiking the river loop trail near Lake Louise.


I almost forgot how much I enjoy adding wildflowers to my hikes and walks, especially when the birding is slow or producing difficult looks for pictures. As I rounded Lake Louise I found a pair of female/juvenile Red-breasted Merganser lounging in the waters while a Belted Kingfisher rattled off a few volleys of calls and made a dive attempt at a meal. Just below the Kingfisher perch a single Great Blue Heron was fishing from shore as well. This time of year can be very fun at William O'Brien as I only saw maybe 6 to 8 people on this loop trail area and it is often very busy with fishing, boat launches, picnics, and camping. As I wrapped up the loop I snagged a look at a Black Squirrel chastising me for being in its territory and a first of year Swainson's Thrush working the dirt trail along the edge of the woods.

I then moved up my car to the upper park area and stopped in the dirt recreation area (used to be volleyball and maybe softball setup) that really seems like more of a brush collection pile more than anything as a single Killdeer met me claiming the open space as his own. My plan was to hike out past one marsh area and into the woods and prairie sections beyond the railroad tracks. My later evening plan was to skirt the marshes and listen for several key birds I needed for my State Park big year. I never made it past the railroad tracks to be honest. As I made the walk under tunnel/bridge of the railroad a Winter Wren popped up to give me a look as it foraged. I was about to hit the tunnel when I started to hear my number 1 target bird from the marsh. American Bittern was letting loose a volley of gurgling water bombs. I really don't know how else to describe them using my own words. The large marsh bird uses it's full neck and body to belt out a liquid galonk several times in a row and it is often the only hint you have of the bird being present since they are world champion hide and seek players in the avian world.

I changed my path to skirt the entire swamp area passing on the forest/prairie effort for the time being. Soon I had a Wilson's Snipe winnowing overhead and I was well into the audio soundscape that is a quality marsh habitat. For good measure a chorus of stone dropping (sound of their call is like 2 stones banging together) Sedge Wren started their calls staking out territory. The moist trail that bisects 2 large tracts had pulled in many Lincoln's Sparrow along with Swamp Sparrows. I soon found a single female Bufflehead floating on the open pool of water as I listened to a second American Bittern fire off a volley of calls. Soon an Orange-Crowned Warbler made it's way down the scrub line on the edge of the trail. This whole section was amazing to listen to and I rarely picked up my binoculars just taking in the layered sounds of birds going about their business on the now heavily cloudy day. It was just 6PM by this time, but I had my prime target bird so I forged a new route to work the entire marsh loop and wrap around for a look/listen at the group camp entrance road swamp that presents more cattail based marsh. That is an important distinction as the massive marsh area I was in is more grass and sedge space giving it a different group of potential birds. I was hoping to also snag Sora and Virginia Rail this evening so I hiked onward. I picked up another Orange-Crowned Warbler and soon several Ring-necked Pheasant staking a claim to the higher dry edges of the marsh areas. I rounded a bend for another hidden pond area and quickly spotted a North American Beaver moving about the pond. (William O'Brien is a strong hold for this mammal and you can find signs of them in many water locations.) At this pond I ran into a couple Sandhill Crane picking out food in the marsh and making little noise, which is surprising to me. They didn't seem to pay me much mind and did their thing while I did mine.

A quiet feeding pair of Sandhill Crane.

As I made my way to the noted cattail marsh I realized I was hearing American Bittern the entire hike basically, but couldn't lock down how many individuals I was actually able to note. I went with 3 knowing their song can carry a great distance, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to 6 or 7 even for the mile or so loop. At the target marsh I quickly was treated to another pair of Sandhill Crane and then a couple chattering Sora nearby. Soon after I stopped to listen closer, a Virginia Rail started going off within seconds making it another easy target bird without much waiting. Again the audio soundscape of this entire hike in the upper park area was amazing. Being able to skirt prairie, forest, and marsh gives a sort of maximum library of birds claiming territory and advertising their availability. What a great way to spend an evening after a full day of work.

By this time I wrapped up my loop and drove to the visitor center lot and got out my lunch bucket looking to have a snack before I headed out for an open space and listen for American Woodcock. I sat at a bench just off the lot munching on a Hillshire meat, cheese, cracker pack and listening to the chorus of Chipping Sparrow nearby. I stopped mid-bite as I realized one didn't sound right and was actually more musical than mechanical. I knew immediately I was hearing Pine Warbler. I left my lunch sitting on the bench and scrambled to the edge of the pine stand next to me and had a Pine Warbler quickly pop into view as it made the rounds and sang a few times. Shortly after another one chastised the first bird and they melted back into the pine woods calling all the way. This was a great non-targeted bird that might just use this space for nesting as this part of the county is the very southern end of their range and the pine stand seems robust enough to support them. I loved the direct education on hearing Pine Warbler and Chipping Sparrow at the same time as they can often be tough when heard alone to know for sure which one you have. (Especially if you are rusty on Pine Warbler like I was.)

Man, I wish I could get a good picture of a Pine Warbler. They are little beasts sometimes.

My short dinner complete I hiked out along Blue Hill and took the cross trail to a middle prairie segment to listen to the birds give a last effort at song for the night while others started up for the first time. White-throated Sparrows tried out some full song as a nearby Eastern Towhee warmed up and eventually put in a few rounds of 'Drink-Your-Tea'. The other direction had a House Wren run out a few bars of material and a Song Sparrow made sure all could hear him as well. A Belted Kingfisher made a final fishing effort at the hidden pond I had visited earlier and I could still pick up American Bittern off in the sedge marsh.

The sunset showed a great brilliance before nightfall and I waited patiently for the American Woodcock to start up.

A nice sunset at William O'Brien waiting for the American Woodcock display to start.

At 8:22PM the first Peent call came from the woods, followed by multiple others waking up for some night dancing. I started my hike out knowing I'd get plenty of time with the Woodcock as I counted a total of 10 birds and saw 2 of them in aerial display from the still light sky. I got to my car about 8:39PM amazed at picking up all my target species for the day/evening effort. I had hoped maybe an Eastern Whip-poor-will would start a call, but I might have closed out a bit early for that to happen and the park is large enough it might take several efforts to track down one even if present in the park. William O'Brien presented an outstanding audio education and a nice beginners palate of early spring wild flowers. My last 2 segments were nearly alone as I saw only 2 other people during this time likely out enjoying the solitude just like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment