Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Follow Migration - Part 2 - Blue Mounds

It is going to be hard not to oversell Blue Mounds State Park.


I likely arrived way to early in the season for the key species of the park (Blue Grosbeak) and it did not matter. I picked up so many excellent species and had so much fun hiking this place that I allowed myself to push the day schedule so I could stay for 6 hours and hike a total of 10 miles.

Staying the night in Luverne meant that I could get out super early and be at the park ready to go when the birds were most active. It had stormed all night and was threatening rain or at least mist all day. None of that was able to drag me down though as I geared up at the main parking lot looking to do some combination of the lower and upper cliff line trails. I eventually decided to stay lower as I saw the swamp and grassland areas on the lower trail. As I walked the first small section of trail that led to the lower cliff line trail I picked up several nice Thrush species like Swainson's, Gray-Cheeked, and Veery. The last 2 were year birds for me and I figured it was definitely on for an outstanding day.

As I entered the grasslands I saw a bird bump up to a perch on the brush line and quickly spotted a LeConte's Sparrow. I was amazed as I fumbled and failed to get a picture of the bird. Shortly after I heard Henslow's Sparrow calling from the grasses and soon heard LeConte's begin calling as well, the first time I've actually heard this species sing.

A video recording of a Henslow's Sparrow calling from the grass. It is the soft hiccup type call given at regular intervals, but easy to overlook.

In total I counted 5 LeConte's and 7 Henslow's over about a 1/2 mile stretch of trail space. I actively tried to listen for Nelson's as the trail took me close to the much wetter swamp areas, but did not hear any potentials.

The Sparrow game was on point at Blue Mounds likely bolstered by the recent storms and perhaps a recent rainy pattern as I found the majority of the park trails very wet and my shoes 6 hours later looked like I had just walked in a river instead of open grassland trails.

My counts of Lincoln's Sparrow reached epic levels as I eventually was eBird flagged and asked by reviewer Bruce Fall to provide some detailed context for the numbers as I ticked 36 of them on my long duration hike. This turns out to be the state record for Lincoln's Sparrow in a single location. No doubt my 10 miles of trail time helped, but the fact is that I had 20 Harris's and 26 White-throated as well during a time that White-throated would normally be starting to dwindle a bit. In total I recorded 14 species of sparrow plus 1 old world in House Sparrow.

Harris's Sparrow with muddy bill as it had just popped off the ground into this bush while I hiked past the campground area to an a prairie that edges a farm.

On the surface Blue Mounds appear to be a massive grassland and buffalo enclosure, but just beyond that view lies the cliff line itself which is a wonderful rocky outcropping that presents some amazing views and eye candy for the park.

Longer view of the cliff line from the prairie space at Blue Mounds.

With many fun rocky spaces this tree was determined to live out it's life deep in the rocks.

When I finally decided to catch higher ground I also picked up sight of a soggy Swainson's Hawk sitting in a tree. I worked my way of the rocky face using a goat path type trail that even has a small stream running down it from all the rain that had been falling. Turkey Vultures ripped along the cliff face as well picking up the updrafts and wind currents. At the top I found the trails even wetter as the rocky terrain didn't allow much absorption, but it was worth the wet feet as I found the top side of the old quarry and some amazing views of the landscape. I spent some time appreciating the view from a couple angles and soon pressed on towards the trail that would edge the buffalo fencing the rest of the way back.

The Quarry is a must visit location showing some amazing views from above while hiking the upper cliff line trail.


Half way back I bumped an American Bittern from the trail edge as it lifted and circled looking for more open space to hunt for food. It is amazing to me how many spaces you can actually get that bird and how much more I find them now compared to my first 5 years of heavy birding in Minnesota. Shortly after I had a Wilson's Snipe fly a circuit around me as well, coming from an unknown location. It was a magical place as it seemed every corner revealed something new and exciting. I used to really not understand or appreciate prairie spaces, but have changed so much in the last few years that I often prefer them as the diversity of what you can find in them is much broader often then a deep close woodland.

The Western Meadowlarks were deeply entrenched in this space as well as they were spread out around the entire upper prairie space as well as Red-Winged Blackbirds that more and more seem like one of the best users of diverse spaces in the blackbird family.

As I came back to the car I swapped out shoes and socks and setup for another effort, looking to add the small woodland and campground area to my visit. I had some much luck in the main park I just had to keep it going. This proved valuable as I picked up some decent warblers in the woods, but also added 3 fly over Black Terns of all things, Red-headed Woodpeckers in 2 locations, and then a small flock of American Pipet bouncing around the entrance road burn area along with a nice mix of White-crowned Sparrows, Harris's Sparrows, and even a Lark Sparrow.

One of the American Pipet that was working a burn area over when I was nearly finished with my 6 hours of park time on this windy and overcast day that threated rain the entire time.

Man, what a trip. It was cold, windy, and misty the entire 6 hours, but it was an absolute blast as I spent the entire time alone with the exception of a park worker checking bathrooms and various other features. I even picked up an odd pair of Common Merganser hanging out on the over flowing river with a first of year Common Nighthawk hunting overhead. For the second day I wrapped up a park with an Owl sighting as a pair of Great-horned Owl moved positions in the tree line near the entrance station.

The Great: Though elevation changes will be limited, this place can keep you hiking and birding for a long time. I almost wanted to do it all over again just to see what else popped up in the same spaces I just visited. I get the feeling that Blue Mounds is under birded and it does get many birding visits. It just felt like I was seconds away from a super rarity of some kind like a Rock Wren. I will return this summer as I want to find a Blue Grosbeak for my year list and simply use it as an excuse to hike the entire park again.

The Meh: The ultra wet trails were a bummer and having the wrong shoes on really caused me some grief early on in the hike. I can imagine this place being turbo hot in the summer as cover is limited in most of the park.

The Verdict: This is an easy A+ really. I don't know what the summer birding is like, but I must return to this park and see what it has to offer. I have to imagine the fall is also amazing as migrants drop into the oasis on the trip south. Everything I saw was well maintained and you can tell it is a jewel in the state park system. It may not be my favorite hiking park due to limited elevation, but wow was it a fun place to visit and spend 6 hours. I can see why many of my birding friends listed it as their favorite state park. You are just seconds away from finding something crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment