Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Rice Lake - Scouting Effort

Finished with a solid hike and sky watch at Myre-Big Island I figured I would make a stop at another new to me park in Rice Lake. I didn't have much in my mind for what I could see at the park on the day, but wanted to at least add another stop and scout for possible habitat.


The entrance sign showed a Bittern (Least?) and I hoped this was indicative of the lake habitat. It certainly was. Though the park had basically shut down the entire road network space except for a single plowed dirt lot off the lake edge and a pit toilette.

I checked the lake out from a dock that was pulled up and sitting high on the banks. The lake has a very large ring of cattails and other emergent vegetation and the space looked perfect for Least Bittern habitat and related birds like Sora, etc... (I could see renting a canoe and really working the lake edges for birds at some point, maybe making a serious attempt for something like Common Gallinule to really spice up the year list.)

I picked up another Song Sparrow starting to sing and some Dark-eyed Juncos were chattering a bit as well, but the park was pretty quiet overall.

I only ended up staying for about 20 minutes as I did not have another crunchy uneven snow hike in me on the day and I had failed to stop for lunch by this time and it was already getting on towards 1PM.

I'll reserve any other comments on this park until I get a chance to really explore and look for key target species after the water melts and we get some more serious migrant action.

No comments:

Post a Comment