Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Short Window of Light gets me Thinking

I ran out to Lake Elmo park quickly after work (4PM) knowing that sundown comes so quickly that I'd barely have more than an hour to checkout to the lake and try to get a good walk completed. I quickly found an odd single Tundra Swan sitting in the middle of the lake. Still present were 9 Pied-billed Grebe and my night list had scant few other birds as the sun chased quickly to the West.

While I was hiking though I thought to myself that I should harness the darkness or at least waning light during my big year and remember to find time for Short-Eared Owl hunts and related night calling owls.

Basically need to put myself in position to listen at night in some strategic locations for owls calling. Instead of trying to get out of the park before dark I should remember to linger and give myself a chance to sit and listen. I'll have to look at some range maps and figure out timings on best night sessions for some key locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment