Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Monday, November 6, 2017

Of Shrikes and Owl Hunts

So this fall I've stumbled upon 10 Northern Shrike in the county since they returned around mid-October. It seems about everywhere I go I run into a Northern Shrike to add to the list. This evening I biked out to some remote prairie space looking for potential owl roosts in some isolated groves without much luck. The Northern Shrike I found was a nice consolation though as it perched high on a hill in a tall tree. The nearby European Starlings and Red-bellied Woodpeckers didn't seem real impressed or worried though.

I have done my research for potential Owl territory using Google Maps and then the Washington County property viewer to determine which land areas are inside public access park locations at the County and City levels. A spot I had tracked down last year and visited a few times has now provided both Northern Saw-whet (my find) and Long-eared Owl (a friends find). It is good to see a find like this spot producing as it demonstrates an advancement of skills in understanding where certain owl types prefer to roost.

I continue to work on my skills in the Eastern Screech Owl category as I'm still without one in Washington County. Additionally I'll begin searching for Snowy Owl in the county as one was reported off handed in the county in the last week and I see tonight someone eBird reported one from Dakota County.

Planning continues on the SP Big Year as I'm spending some cycles trying to figure out phase 1 at the New Year. Basically what can I expect for hiking/snow-shoeing at a few parks to the north on New Years Day.

I'm debating a full day effort at a place like Jay Cooke vs a strategy of visiting 3 parks in that span just to get a visit in and maybe car bird plus parking lot and road hike to see what is stirring. It may bear fruit to keep an eye on the plowed roads if they get the salt treatment to look for Crossbills right off the bat. (Also Snow Bunting, Redpolls, etc...)

No comments:

Post a Comment