Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Sunday, February 1, 2015

WI Double Shot - Sidetracked.

Melissa and I setup a lunch with my parents on Saturday. It was long overdue as it was originally planned a month or so back for dad's birthday, but things came up.

To piggyback I had been tracking the Long-tailed Duck sightings near the main street bridge in Chippewa Falls as well as the Northern Hawk Owl in Eau Claire on Lars Road.

On the way into town Melissa and I went to the boat launch location on the south side of the bridge near the city dirt and dumping location. It didn't take long after scanning the Common Goldeneye's for Melissa to spot the Long-tailed Ducks in the faster moving water near the south pylon of the bridge. Both females stuck close together and worked the rapid water area. Very easy get just for paying attention to bird sightings in my hometown.

After arriving at the parents house I started to watch the local feeders and was surprised to find abundant Pine Siskin and even a Common Redpoll. After a short time my FOY Titmouse showed up, again baffling me how easy the bird is in Chippewa Falls and how tough it is in MN.

After lunch in Eau Claire we drove a very short distance to Lars Road and on the way I explained what we'd be looking for. It wasn't more than a minute later that dad said he saw a large bird at the top of a pine tree just ahead. Sure enough the Northern Hawk Owl was sitting right at the turn to Lars road. Nice easy find and the 2nd lifer of the day for Melissa. Mom and dad both enjoyed the ultra short drive and get for a bird they had never seen either. This was the 3rd Northern Hawk Owl since last year for me when I got my first ever in the bog.

Fun day of visiting and accidental/opportunistic birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment