Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Black Dog Road

Starting to wonder if I will ever keep a blog active. Or if I will ever stop trying.

Over the weekend I did some winter birding at two locations Old Cedar Ave trails along the bluff for several hours in hopes of finding the Winter Wren hanging out near the boardwalk sections, no luck. I did however get 3 Brown Creeper out of the time in the woods. With the snow and rustling clothing I had to stop very often to listen hard. On the way out I thought I caught ear of a Creeper north of me on the higher trail. I made note on return trip to stay on the high path and eventually got them all together near the trail.

Another couple out walking indicated they had found a Great Horned Owl, that I missed as I had turned around sooner on the trail.

I did kick up a Hooded Merganser in a 10 or 20 food diameter pool that was still open at a run off out flow point along the trail. Him and two Mallard flew off quickly.

Also had a Rough-legged Hawk right near the lot when I got out of the car. Didn't have much of a look, but it was good.

After Old Cedar I ran over yo Black Dog Lake west outflow location to look for ducks or gulls. It was quiet finding few of anything in the shrinking open water. Trumpeter Swan and Hooded Merganser being the highlights. The things got interesting, a nice gentlemen asked if anything was in the outflow and then shared that the Peregrin Falcon was on the powerplant stack hanging out. Drove up the road and scoped the stack and and picked him/her outpretty quickly. Minutes later I found a Barred Owl standing in a short tree 10 feet off the road. Easiest Owl I have ever gotten.

Later down the road I found the dark morph Rough-legged Hawk that had been spotted recently. It had just caught a mouse and was eating contently. Cool to see my first ever Dark Morph.

Also on the road I saw a very large flock of Amerian Tree Sparrow flying along the road. It was at least 30.

Good day of birding in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment