Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Friday, April 27, 2018

Lake Shetek - Frozen Sky Show

After leaving Flandrau I headed for a lunch stop and started working my Google Map for the next location. I knew I had plenty of time, even for a Sunday to hit another location at least and I started to figure if I stopped at a location for a quick scout I might easily hit a 4th park in the same day.

At 1 hour and 30 minutes apart I saw Lake Shetek as a intermediate destination that might allow me to justify going further and picking up some time at either Split Rock Creek or Blue Mounds. Little did I know that I'd spend 3 hours nearly motionless with my head craned to the sky.


I rolled into the entrance area and quickly spotted my State Park first Western Meadowlarks pushed to the grassland edges by a generous snow pack still hanging on in this portion of the state. A large mixed blackbird flock also chattered noisily as I tried in vane to pick out something exciting.

I stopped for some advice or direction in the park office and was told several roads were soft and closed still, but I could just park on the shoulder of the open ones and hike into any location of interest. I was most curious about Loon island and so I drove to the area that would have me hike down the boat launch road to the causeway for the island.

The causeway to Loon Island at Lake Shetek State Park. I never made it to the other side in 3 hours of intense sky watching.


I reached the bottom and quickly realized I had forgotten to put my sunglasses on before leaving the car. I didn't bother turning back given my plan to hike on a forest laden island.

I never made it to the island as I quickly had movement above me in a flock of Turkey Vulture riding the thermals. I soon found that the snow on the lake was reflecting up and bottom lighting birds in a way I had never seen.

For the next 3 straight hours I had hawks of nearly every type fly over me in slow circles while American White Pelican and Double-crested Cormorant added to the mix. I even added a small group of Purple Martin for a year State Park bird.

This impromptu hawk/raptor lesson was intense and highly educational. I was forced to put some pictures up on social media for identification help and guidance. Thankfully friend and Hawk Ridge counter Clinton Nienhaus was game along with good friend Peter Nichols. I was happy to get many of them on my own, but even I have limits. The under lighting was creating unique view of some birds that was a challenge to lock down. Coupled with not expecting Broad-winged Hawks with snow still on the ground I had an amazing day picking out bird after bird and working for pictures.

Amazingly I even tallied the rare MN migrant form of Red-Tailed Hawk, known as a Harlan's Hawk. In fact I actually had 2 of them during the day with my juvenile pictures showing insane clarity to the barred primary feathers that are often diagnostic for a juvenile Harlan's over the similar Western juvenile variety.

I could continue to rattle on, but I'll close this post with as many pictures as I can pull together showing some great angles on birds.

Harlan's Variety: Red-Tailed Hawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Cooper's Hawk: Notice the straighter wings and larger head projection, which help to separate this bird from Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Composite of 3 different Northern Harrier. Adult male up top and female/juveniles in the next 2 images. I'm not 100% sure if female/juvenile can be determined at this time of year.

Rough-legged Hawk showing a full crop from a recent meal.

Red-tailed Hawks, likely adults showing the signature tail from below even with the color washing light hitting them.

 It is of note I also was able to trek into a wooded stand nearby with 2 feet of snow drifted on the edge of a wet swamp and pick up pictures of my FOY Rusty Blackbird.

These moments are what my big year was meant to be. A total adventure with nearly random site selection and just an amazing and unexpected experience that had me never wanting it to end. What a day as I made the 3+ hour drive home that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment