Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Monday, March 26, 2018

Radiosavant & Weather Limited Birding

Link to MPR Segment Podcast:

Last week on Tuesday night I was making dinner with my wife (grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches on Pretzel Buns) and my phone started blowing up. I quick checked and was being asked by 2 birding friends if I was available to do an MPR spot on Thursday morning.

Now, complete honesty out front, anything after that was completely unnecessary as I'm the type of guy that can't refuse such an opportunity. The idea of fear in this type of situation doesn't really exist, just nervous excitement at the opportunity to talk about birds to a large audience. I knew I could clear my schedule and work would understand my need to be a part of this activity.

It was interesting to see the approach each friend took as one simply related the opportunity and gave an encouraging word while the other lobbied heavily with quality reasons why I should do such a thing. As I said, I was already sold so they both forwarded my details to the MPR producer and the wheels were in motion.

That evening I got an email from the producer giving me some minor details and checking to be sure I was interested. We arranged a morning call to quick review my background and qualifications. (Probably a general vetting process to make sure I wasn't completely off the wall or in some way likely to lose my mind while on radio.)

Just like that it was set and I would be in studio by 10:15AM for a 10:30AM segment. My wife volunteered for moral support and came along to keep me calm and ready to rock. We sat in the parking lot a bit having arrived early and I did what I always do, identified birds in the lot by sight or call. I noted a Male House Finch singing away from one of the limited trees in the center of St. Paul.

We got into the building shortly after and were moved to the Green Room with about 10 minutes to spare. Just like that it was time to go on as I grabbed my notepad with a single sheet of notes in case I should vapor lock live on air. I was quickly introduced to Mike Edgerly (filling in for Kerri Miller) and found my place across the console from him. The producer adjusted the mic for me and we all talked about the flow of the 30 minutes, etc... It came up that this was my first radio opportunity and Mike was quick to point out it would be a conversation between the 2 of us and we'd talk to a few people on the phone. This relaxed me a lot and given a natural abundance of confidence I was ready to rock.

We spanned many topics, often driven by the callers, which kept the whole thing in conversation mode and impromptu. I really feel like I excel at such banter and never felt like I was out of my element the whole time. The closest though would have to be the nerve wracking bird call identification piece I wasn't aware was going to be a thing....(I found out 30 seconds before going on air actually.)

Fortune smiled though as the first call played I literally had heard in the parking lot and had spent time getting to know the last few years. The complex musical song of the House Finch can actually be a serious challenge for bird watchers. So I got the first one and was at ease. Then they decided to move into insane mode with the alarm call of a non-singing species that almost never makes the sound. To the deep croaking noise I answered Great-Blue Heron's potentially at a Rookery. The answer was Great Egret and I felt find with the result considering the 2 alarm calls are no nearly identical that I would venture most wouldn't detect a difference except in the tone. Many birding friends and experts told me online they did not get the call correct either.

All told though, this was a tremendous experience and I loved every minute of the limelight. The caller subjects were great and insightful leading to excellent topic expansion. I really can see doing this again in the future and it bolsters my desire to work on a podcast.

----

On the big year business we had a massive snow storm in the southern part of the state that bombed out 13" on many areas. I avoided such calamity, but also stayed in most of the day working on finally getting taxes done as well as pouring many hours into a presentation I'm slated for on the 31st with good friend Peter Nichols. We will be talking on County Big Year Birding and how to increase your own lists. This is a program put on by the MOU that filled up quickly.

I did get some Sunday morning birding wrapped around more family activities with a few hours of sky watch at Afton State Park in the cold winds. I was able to add State Park year birds of both Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks along with Herring Gull and Turkey Vulture.

Later after family lunch I went back out to non-SP locations with Peter Nichols and we targeted Wilson's Snipe at a boat launch near Stillwater and instead were rewarded with a great kettle of Bald Eagles that included a Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, and amazingly an adult Golden Eagle. This was a county life bird for both of us and a great opportunity to witness a challenging bird to pin down during migration.

Weather is not looking that great this week and beyond so we will see what State Park Birding looks like for the next 2 weeks as we sputter trying to get spring started in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment