Recent News

With nearly 9500 county tics this year I'm tired, but not done yet. I have planned efforts nearly every weekend for the next two months to bring this on home. I'll make 10,000 at this point and look at pouring on additional items as time allows.




Friday, March 16, 2018

Incremental Spring - Afton

The days keep ticking by and we've already run past Daylight Savings time. Winter has had it's icy grip upon us for what feels like an eternity. With all of this many of the waterfowl are waiting to our south pressed against the snow and ice line in Iowa waiting for the farm fields to open up and the lakes. Until then we have to be satisfied with a few harbingers of spring.

Over the weekend I was limited on bird watching and wasn't able to attend a new State Park. Saturday had a scattered mix of snow to the south over the entire state that I wasn't willing to navigate and plans on Sunday to visit my parents moth balled any remaining options to find a new adventure.

That being the case I was able to get down to Afton after work a couple days ago on a breezy, but sunny day. It was remarkable in that not even a single flock of Canada Geese was to be found flying over the park or up the river. All of the usual resident woodpeckers and song birds were present along with a few American Tree Sparrows working the feeders behind the visitor center.

As I entered the park a Red-tailed Hawk could be seen working close to the road. On a short mile long walk on the paved trail I soon found an American Kestrel, my first in a State Park this year.

American Kestrel working the prairie and roadside areas of Afton State Park.

Given my 10 visits to Afton this year I'm sure this bird was not present all winter so it was perhaps an early raptor migrant starting to move north.

Little else presented itself to me as I walked in the chilled breeze. After about an hour and a half I headed home thinking we really are on the slow incremental path to spring this year compared to some prior years. It was only 2 years ago we had 70 degree days in March with open water and no snow on the ground.

On my last 1/4 mile out of the park a group of American Robins was seen working the exposed road edges for food. At the exit station a lone Northern Shrike was also working for a meal.

Northern Shrike perched low to the ground looking for a meal.

I'm so ready for open ground, green leaves, and long hikes in the parks in relative comfort. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment